Monday, August 12, 2013

I'm in Obihiro


A little explanation - this first bit were her answers to my questions.  I sent her a "Greenie" package to the Mission Home so she would have it when she got there.  It was filled with "green" things (Mints, green highlighter, green post-it notes, green necklace/earings/watch, mint M&M's, a green bottle of foot cream, and a green bottle of hair friz control).  I have posted pictures also that she talks about in her letter of the "Princess Pictures".  I also did an experiment for slow mail to see how long it would take them to get to Japan, looks like two weeks.  
********************************************************************
Yes I got your package! Thank you very much! It was a nice surprise. I got the DearElder that they sent on Aug. 1st and the letter that dad send on August 1st as well. I got them both today. One of the reasons why mail will take a little longer is becuase you send it to the Honbu (mission home) and then it could stay there for a while until they decide to send it to me.
Princess Pictures - so all the Shimai in our district got together and we wanted to give something to everyone at the end of the MTC. Obviously we don't have a ton of resources for gifts so we got creative. So we had a princess coloring book and we picked out everyone`s princess including the Choro tachi. We also did some for our teachers as well. It was pretty funny! Kirby Shimai (she's an artist) is the one who colored all the pictures. I just helped to pick out which princess looked like who.
My first Sunday was good! Even though I couldn't understand anything still. I actually didn't have to bear my testimony this week becuase there was 4 new missionaries so the 2 elders spoke this week and then next week me and Bastow Shimai will speak. The cool part was one of our investigators came to church yesterday. I guess she:s been to church a few times and she really likes it. She is this short and nice old lady. A lot of the people here are nice old ladies. :)
Living with 5 girls in America is hard. But living with 5 girls in Japan is hard and crowded. :) We make it work though. We sleep on futons very close together in 1 (kinda 2) rooms. Everything is much smaller here. In our apartment, we have a kitchen, a bathroom, a bedroom, and an office. The bedroom also serves as an office and a closet when we roll the futons up. Also there is no oven here, well there is but it's very small and no one really uses oven here. It's very interesting.
I bought a bike on Saturday, It`s white and has a cute basket in front. It was about $203. So not too bad.
President Evans and Sister Evan are so awesome!!!! I already love them so much! Sister Evans has quite a lot of musical talent and she instantly loves anyone else who has musical talent as well. She is so cute and really funny! :)
The area that I`m in is called Obihiro. It`s right in the middle of Hokaido. We live in the city, but most of our area is countryside. I`ve noticed that lots of people ride bikes here so we fit in perfectly when we`re out exploring the city on our bikes. Also it:s very humid here! I didn:t realize how warm it is in Japan! My hair is going crazy (thank you mom for the frizz controling hair gel). I don't think my hair will ever be straight while I'm here. I feel like I need to take multiple showers every day becuuse I always feel sticky! People here don't have air conditioning. Probably becuase most of the time it's so cold here so they don't really need it. But it seems like it's usually warmer inside people's houses than it is outside. Another thing I've noticed about Obihiro is that there are a lot of little old ladies. They're very nice, but the only problem is that they talk very soft and very fast so it's hard to understand them.
Leaving the MTC I thought I at least knew a little bit of Japanese, but I now realize that I know very, very, very little Japanese. The good thing is that people are very polite here so when they talk to me they'll talk a little slower so that I can try to understand them. They are also very forgiving when I make a mistake (which is a lot of the time). Luckily my companion is Japanese so she helps me a lot when I don't understand what people are saying. Hopefully as I talk to people more, my Japanese will improve. All I can do is try right? :)
Hope you are all doing well!
Much love!
Morrison Shimai
PS We really really really love yogurt here!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment